Churches, Chapels and Cemeteries etc. in or near Newport and Carisbrooke

NEWPORT - CARISBROOKE - BLACKWATER - BOWCOMBE - CHILLERTON - GATCOMBE - GUNVILLE PARKHURST

Newport Minster Church of St Thomas'
St Thomas's Square
Newport
PO30 1SG
12th C (rebuilt 1857) onwards
there are no interments at this Church - Church Litten was the burial ground until mid 19th C
Church Litten Burial Ground
Church Litten
Newport
PO30 1XL
1582 to 1858 - detached churchyard for St Thomas'

The vast majority of the grave markers were cleared in the 1950's - a very few have been relocated around the edge.

Now Church Litten public park
St John's Church (CofE)
Corner of Drake and Terrace Roads
Newport
PO30 1EQ

This is the church in St John's Road, Newport - it was known as "St John's, Carisbrooke " until 1986 then it was changed to "St John's, Newport"
1837 onwards

The churchyard was used for interments until the 1930's, the vast majority of gravemarkers were removed 1960's.

St Paul's Church, (CofE)
Barton
Stapler Road
Newport
PO30 2HZ
1844 onwards

Originally Chapel of Ease for Whippingham Church, own parish from ???

Churchyard closed - interments to early 20th C
St Thomas of Canterbury's Church (RC)
96 Pyle Street
Newport
PO30 1UH
1791 onwards
Methodist Chapel (also known as Victoria Methodist Chapel)
Pyle Street
Newport
PO30 1JT
1803 to 1969

Originaly Wesleyan

now (2020) the Apollo Theatre

The Victoria Methodist Sunday School building is on the opposite side of the road
Zion Chapel
42 Quay Street
Newport
PO30 5BA
1843 to 1879

Bible Christian

replaced by the 1879 church below

now (2020) offices
Methodist Church
Quay Street
Newport
PO30 5BA
1879 onwards

originally Bible Christian

replaced the older Bible Christian, Zion Chapel in Quay Street
Primitive Methodist Chapels
(1) Ebenezer Chapel (shown)
- Holyrood St. (later Catholic Apostolic Church)
Holyrood Street

(2) Pyle Street
(1)1836 to 1886 - Bought by Charles Wheeler to form the original in-town premises of W. Hurst & Son, still incorporated in the building.

(2) now (2020) the Salvation Army Hall
Congregational Church
98 Pyle Street
Newport
PO30 1UH
2011 onwards

Replaced the Church in St James Street
Independent/ Congregational Chapel
Upper St James Street
Newport
PO30 1LG
1803 to 1881
referred to as 'Node Hill Congregational' - united with St James Street church in 1881

later premises of C J Beavis Ltd

now (2020) Coffee Shop

Congregational Church (old)
St James Street
Newport
PO30 5HB
17th C to 2002 (rebuilt 1848)

subsequently used as a night club and (2014) 'The Man on the Moon' Wetherspoon Pub
Castlehold Baptist Church
High Street
Newport
PO30 1BH
1809 onwards

There were a number of interments upto circa 1900. These have been indexed by Ann Barrett See Ann Barrett's website

the area is now (2020) a car park so there are now no visible signs.
Unitarian Meeting House
9 High Street
Newport
PO30 1SS
1774 onwards History
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Shide Road
Newport
PO30 1YE
pre 1851 onwards, although not always at this location
Elim Pentecostal Church
(Church on the Roundabout)
Coppins Bridge
Newport
PO30 2BX
Society of Friends burial ground (Quakers)
(site of Hannah House)
Hunnyhill
Newport
PO30 5HN
Site redeveloped
Mosque
Chapel St
Newport
PO30 1PZ
1883 - ?? as chapel (Legh Richmond Hall) attached to St Johns Church

Subsequently used as Island Bedding Centre before being converted to the Mosque
House of Industry (Workhouse)
South Hospital
St Mary's Hospital
Newport
Chapel & Burial Ground

The burial ground has been redeveloped, there is no evidence of it although a memorial was erected in 2013 north of the Heli-pad.
St Andrew's Church (CofE)
Albany Road
Newport
PO30 5LB
?? to 1990

An 'Iron Church'
originally daughter church to St Mary's Carisbrooke, then St Thomas' Newport

Demolished 2002 and housing built on the site
St Michael's Garrison Church
Parkhurst
St Paul's Old Cemetery
(IW Council)
Cross Lane
Newport
PO30 2HZ
Land to north of churchyard - established 1872, replaced by cemetery in Halberry Lane circa 1899.
.
Newport Cemetery
(IW Council)
Fairlee Road
Newport
PO30 2ET
1858 onwards
also pedestrian access from Newport Harbour East Quay
St Paul's Cemetery
(IW Council)
Halberry Lane
Newport
PO30 2ER
opened circa 1899 onwards
replaced Cemetery to north of St Paul's churchyard)

NEWPORT - CARISBROOKE - BLACKWATER - BOWCOMBE - CHILLERTON - GATCOMBE - GUNVILLE PARKHURST

St Mary's Church (CofE)
High Street
Carisbrooke
PO30 1NN
11th C onwards

Churchyard used for interments to mid 19th C

St John's Church (CofE)
Corner of Drake and Terrace Roads
Newport
PO30 1EQ

This is the church in St John's Road, Newport - it was known as "St John's, Carisbrooke " until 1986 then it was changed to "St John's, Newport"
1837 onwards

The churchyard was used for interments until the 1930's, the vast majority of gravemarkers were removed 1960's.

Carisbrooke (Mount Joy) Cemetery
(IW Council)
Whitcombe Road
Carisbrooke
PO30 1YS
1858 onwards
St Nicholas in Castro (CofE)
Carisbrooke Castle
Castle Hill
Carisbrooke
PO30 1XY
12th C onwards

County War Memorial to the men of the Island who had died in the Great War
St Nicholas-in-Castro is the chapel within the grounds of Carisbrooke Castle, and is open when the castle is open.
St Dominic's Priory (RC)
39 Whitcombe Road
Carisbrooke
Newport
PO30 1YS
1866 to 1989

A number of the Sisters are buried within the grounds of the Priory.

now (2020) a House of Prayer and Christian Healing
Methodist Chapel
Carisbrooke High Street
Carisbrooke
PO30 1NU
late 19th C to 1980s

Originally Bible Christian

now (2020) a private dwelling
Wayfarers Fellowship Evangelical Church
Castle Street
Carisbrooke
PO30 1NS
Primitive Methodist Chapel on the site 1859 –1932

The Wayfarers’ Fellowship was formed in 1936 and established itself at the Chapel in 1950.

NEWPORT - CARISBROOKE - BLACKWATER - BOWCOMBE - CHILLERTON - GATCOMBE - GUNVILLE PARKHURST

St Barnabas Church (CofE)
Blackwater Hollow
Blackwater
PO30 3BQ
late 19th C to late 20th C

Originally attached to St George's church Arreton

now (2020) used for fruit and veg sales
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Blackwater Hollow
Blackwater
PO30 3BJ
1843 to ??

2020 disused - privately owned

NEWPORT - CARISBROOKE - BLACKWATER - BOWCOMBE - CHILLERTON - GATCOMBE - GUNVILLE PARKHURST

Methodist Church
Bowcombe Road
Carisbrooke
PO30 3HT
1882 (as iron church) to 2019

later (brick) chapel - 1908

Closed 2019

Originally Bible Christian

NEWPORT - CARISBROOKE - BLACKWATER - BOWCOMBE - CHILLERTON - GATCOMBE - GUNVILLE PARKHURST

Methodist Chapel
Main Road
Chillerton
PO30 3ER
1860 to ???

Originally Bible Christian

now (2020) a private dwelling
Reformed Methodist Chapel
the "Top Chapel"
Corner of Hollow Lane and Main Road
Chillerton
PO30 3ET
1845 to mid 20th C

now (2020) Chillerton Village Hall

NEWPORT - CARISBROOKE - BLACKWATER - BOWCOMBE - CHILLERTON - GATCOMBE - GUNVILLE PARKHURST

St Olave's Church (CofE)
Gatcombe Road
Gatcombe
PO30 3EJ
13th century (as a manorial chapel) onwards

NEWPORT - CARISBROOKE - BLACKWATER - BOWCOMBE - CHILLERTON - GATCOMBE - GUNVILLE PARKHURST

Methodist Church
Gunville Road
Carisbrooke
PO30 5LS
1907 onwards

Originally Bible Christian

An earlier chapel was located on the other side of the road near a Primitive Methodist chapel - both these sites now redeveloped.

NEWPORT - CARISBROOKE - BLACKWATER - BOWCOMBE - CHILLERTON - GATCOMBE - GUNVILLE PARKHURST

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Noke Common Road
Parkhurst
PO30 5TY
1836 to 1995

original chapel (now demolished) was further along Noke Common Road - current building built 1872

now (2020) private dwellings
Military Cemetery (old)
Cowes Road/Noke Common
??? to 1840's.
Site re-developed, no remains visible/
Military Cemetery
Forest Road
Newport
PO30 5SH
1840's onwards

Burials include some members of staff families posted at Parkhurst/Albany barracks and WW1 & WW2 GWGC